A highly contagious disease, cholera is caused by a bacterium called vibrio cholerae which affects the water absorption in the small intestine.
Feeling thirsty and restless, an increased body temperature, low blood pressure and diarrhea followed by nausea and vomiting are symptoms of cholera.
Cholera is a viral infection caused due to consumption of contaminated food or water. It can be a life threatening condition.
- The best way to deal with cholera at home is to have plenty of water, at least 8 glasses per day.
- To one liter of boiling water, add 4 teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt. Take this at regular intervals.
- Consume a glass of orange juice or lime juice on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Boil few basil leaves in a glass of water and strain the mixture. Have it once a day.
- Add 10-15 cloves in hot water and boil till the level reduces to half. Strain the liquid and sip this at regular intervals.
- Crush some onion pieces and 10-15 black pepper corns to make a fine paste. Have this three times a day. Onions help reduce thirst and restlessness making the patient feel better.
- Have light diet. Include vegetable soup, black pepper and ginger in your diet.
- Make sure the drinking water is boiled or filtered.
- Store water and food in closed containers to avoid contamination by flies or other germs.
- Wash your hands with soap before you start cooking.